Automatix viole la GPL

Mise à jour: Problème réglé Automatix est redevenu GPL sous la pression.

Attention, Automatix le dérivé d’Easy Ubuntu pour les power users dans sa dernière version viole la licence GPL!

En effet arnieboy l’auteur de se fork a décidé de changer la licence de la dernière version pour quelque chose de propriétaire (pas le droit de faire des modifications ni de distribuer le script sans sa permission) pourtant la dernière version contient encore des bouts de code provenants de Easy Ubuntu qui lui est GPL.

Automatix est donc dans l’illégalité.

Franchement je n’aime pas ce genre de comportements, se baser sur quelque chose de libre, faire deux trois modifs et en faire quelque chose de propriétaire sans raisons apparentes (c’est toujours gratuit) à part la gloire personnelle (pas sur qu’un pauvre script pour un OS utilisé par moins de 3% des gens disposant d’un ordinateur apporte la gloire).

Je vous encourage à poster sur ce sujet de ubuntuforums.org (avec une belle faute dans le titre) pour l’encourager a revenir du bon coté de la force 😉

Mise à jour: le sujet sur UbuntuForums.org est maintenant supprimé et il semble que ce n’est pas nouveau (voir le commentaire de azz), tous les sujets traitant de la licence (ou de la violation de la GPL) sont supprimés. Vive la transparence. Je publierais certainement bientôt la discussion que j’ai eu par courriel à ce propos avec arnieboy …

C’est aussi l’occasion pour moi d’annoncer la sortie prochaine (sûrement la semaine prochaine) d’Easy Ubuntu 2.4 finale (la même que la bêta 4 avec juste une traduction en espagnol mise à jour) et de 2.5 bêta 1 avec un nouveau système de log (pour détecter beaucoup plus facilement les problèmes. Comme toujours vos idées sont les bienvenues pour la 2.5!

Nouvelle mise à jour: chose promie chose due, ma conversation avec “arnieboy”. J’ai censuré les noms et email mais les textes sont entiers.

De: Kévin À: arnieboy Sujet: GPL violation Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2005 19:02:38 +0100

I’m busy so I just put the bad code:

And the rest of the main code and method is clearly coming from Easy Ubuntu, even some functions names (and code) are the same.

The numclock code is the same and some configs files come from GPLed How-To. It’s very hard to make a script like that without doing GPL violation. I think that this is stupid to publish this script in a proprietary license.

NO! its not clearly coming from Easy Ubuntu. I wrote things independently and they look the same as your work because they are based on similar howtos! In fact your work is 1/10th of my work. U didnt invent anything Kévin. u used the same resources as I did. Hey, why are u picking up this fight with me for no reason? did azz or anybody else instigate you? because if they did, thats what they are good at. u are a good programmer and I have worked very hard on automatix to make it what it is today. lets stop this unnecessary quarrel and discuss better things or collaborations. u said u will translate automatix to french. what happened to that? -Arnie

On 12/5/05, Kévin wrote:

I’m busy so I just put the bad code:

if echo “$RET” | grep $”Multimedia codecs”; then multimedia fi if echo “$RET” | grep $”Firefox Plugins”; then ffoxplugins fi … echo $RET >> $HOME/automatix.log

And the rest of the main code and method is clearly coming from Easy Ubuntu, even some functions names (and code) are the same.

The numclock code is the same and some configs files come from GPLed How-To. It’s very hard to make a script like that without doing GPL violation. I think that this is stupid to publish this script in a proprietary license.

De: Kévin À: arnieboy Sujet: Re: GPL violation Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2005 19:49:30 +0100

Le lundi 05 décembre 2005 à 13:08 -0500, arnieboy a écrit :

NO! its not clearly coming from Easy Ubuntu. I wrote things independently and they look the same as your work because they are based on similar howtos! In fact your work is 1/10th of my work.

I’m really not sure, your work also use the PLF (I’ve created the Ubuntu PLF and builded some packages installed with your script). Like Easy Ubuntu this is “just” a script to automatize many how-to available on ubuntuforums.org and ubuntu-fr.org (code from ubuntu-fr.org is probably also GPL, I don’t know for ubuntuforums.org). It’s a part of my code and it’s also my idea (I don’t know any script of this kind on any distro). Share my ideas but as free softwares!

I’ve nothing against you I’m just fighting for free softwares. I’ve used no how-to (for zenity and other base code, not for the settings and configs of course) to write Easy Ubuntu. This code is Ben (first patcher of Easy Ubuntu, //dunglas.fr/bcm/index.php/2005/08/23/26-easy-ubuntu-mp3-videos-plugins-firefox-p2p-interface-graphique) and mine. I’ve not translated Automatix because I don’t have many times since august and I’ll translate in january if it will GPL 😉

I have worked very hard on

automatix to make it what it is today.

So share your work! I’ve wrote a lot of free softwares, patches for free softwares, translations for free softwares … (English to french because my english is so bad :P) Many of them have been forked, modified, patched … and it’s good.

It’s the first problem that I’ve with my code.

De: arnieboy À: Kévin Sujet: Re: GPL violation Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2005 13:57:03 -0500 (19:57 CET)

My software is ALSO FREE (AS IN BEER). I am nt charging any goddamn money for it!

I use the plf repos, NOT YOUR IDEA! stop pretending that u never took anything from my code! everybody copies automatix including u.

I consider this case closed. if u dont want to translate automatix, u dont have to. there will be millions of others ready to do the same.

and one more thing: If u spread FUD about my work, I will do the same with yours and damage your work to the point of extinction. trust me on that. so dont go into a mud-slinging contest with me.

My work is still open source! everyone can see the code and modify it for their own personal use! however, if u want to distribute the modified code, all I am asking is that u take my permission! nothing freaking else! so stop being so dense. -Arnie

On 12/5/05, Kévin wrote:

Le lundi 05 décembre 2005 à 13:08 -0500, arnieboy a écrit : > NO! its not clearly coming from Easy Ubuntu. I wrote things > independently and they look the same as your work because they are > based on similar howtos! In fact your work is 1/10th of my work.

I’m really not sure, your work also use the PLF (I’ve created the Ubuntu PLF and builded some packages installed with your script). Like Easy Ubuntu this is “just” a script to automatize many how-to available on ubuntuforums.org and ubuntu-fr.org (code from ubuntu-fr.org is probably also GPL, I don’t know for ubuntuforums.org). It’s a part of my code and it’s also my idea (I don’t know any script of this kind on any distro). Share my ideas but as free softwares!

I’ve nothing against you I’m just fighting for free softwares. I’ve used no how-to (for zenity and other base code, not for the settings and configs of course) to write Easy Ubuntu. This code is Ben (first patcher of Easy Ubuntu, //dunglas.fr/bcm/index.php/2005/08/23/26-easy-ubuntu-mp3-videos-plugins-firefox-p2p-interface-graphique) and mine. I’ve not translated Automatix because I don’t have many times since august and I’ll translate in january if it will GPL 😉

I have worked very hard on > automatix to make it what it is today.

So share your work! I’ve wrote a lot of free softwares, patches for free softwares, translations for free softwares … (English to french because my english is so bad :P) Many of them have been forked, modified, patched … and it’s good.

It’s the first problem that I’ve with my code.

De: Kévin À: arnieboy Sujet: Re: GPL violation Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2005 20:30:09 +0100

Le lundi 05 décembre 2005 à 13:57 -0500, arnieboy a écrit :

My software is ALSO FREE (AS IN BEER). I am nt charging any goddamn money for it!

I speak for free like freedom 😉

I use the plf repos, NOT YOUR IDEA! stop pretending that u never took anything from my code! everybody copies automatix including u.

lol 🙂 “Trop gros passera pas” like we said in french … I’ve already tell that I’ve took your DMA code (but I’ve rewrited it in the last versions). If you don’t believe me just look at my code. I’ve also included many code coming from french guys. But when you said “NOT YOUR IDEA” it’s it is very very funny 😛 The first version of Easy Ubuntu goes back to at least 2 months before Automatix (first only in french). See the title of first posts in the “Automatix” subject 😉

I consider this case closed. if u dont want to translate automatix, u dont have to. there will be millions of others ready to do the same.

Nice 😉 Easy Ubuntu is already translated in more than 10 languages.

and one more thing: If u spread FUD about my work, I will do the same with yours and damage your work to the point of extinction. trust me on that. so dont go into a mud-slinging contest with me.

Hahaha 🙂 I am afraid. Keep your intimidation for you.

I don’t spread FUD I just spread the truth. If I want I can also damage your reputation and I never yield to the threats. I can also speak about that on Slashdot, linuxfr.org or gpl-violations.org ^^ (I can also do intimidation ;-)) I think that peoples prefers GPL stuff like mine to proprietary stuff (even Open Source) like yours.

My work is still open source! everyone can see the code and modify it for their own personal use! however, if u want to distribute the modified code, all I am asking is that u take my permission! nothing freaking else! so stop being so dense. -Arnie

Open Source ok, a bash script is often Open Source … But it’s not free and it’s based on free software. It’s just illegal.

It is much problems for some lines of stolen code isn’t it?

De: arnieboy À: Kévin Sujet: Re: GPL violation Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2005 14:43:47 -0500 (20:43 CET)

look dude.. lets close this pointless argument. u stole my DMA code and probably much more which I dont care to check (and u only admitted it when I pointed it out). U have never acknowledged that u took code from automatix (either on the thread or ur website or anywhere else). U shamelessly made it your own work.

I asked for ur permission from day one and have acknowledged your contribution from day 1 to this date.

I know u are little pissed because my work came after yours and became much better (that because I am superior programmer and people like my work better) and its of course much popular going by the number of thread views.

I know its hard for u to admit that u cant do anything better than me and now all u want to do is to call me a thief.

do it if thats what u feel is right.

all the best and thanks once again for your contribution to automatix which I will never fail to acknowledge even if u go and call me a thief. -Arnie

On 12/5/05, Kévin wrote:

Le lundi 05 décembre 2005 à 13:57 -0500, arnieboy a écrit : > My software is ALSO FREE (AS IN BEER). I am nt charging any goddamn > money for it! >

I speak for free like freedom 😉

> I use the plf repos, NOT YOUR IDEA! stop pretending that u never took > anything from my code! everybody copies automatix including u. >

lol 🙂 “Trop gros passera pas” like we said in french … I’ve already tell that I’ve took your DMA code (but I’ve rewrited it in the last versions). If you don’t believe me just look at my code. I’ve also included many code coming from french guys. But when you said “NOT YOUR IDEA” it’s it is very very funny 😛 The first version of Easy Ubuntu goes back to at least 2 months before Automatix (first only in french). See the title of first posts in the “Automatix” subject 😉

> I consider this case closed. if u dont want to translate automatix, u > dont have to. there will be millions of others ready to do the same.

Nice 😉 Easy Ubuntu is already translated in more than 10 languages.

> and one more thing: If u spread FUD about my work, I will do the same > with yours and damage your work to the point of extinction. trust me > on that. so dont go into a mud-slinging contest with me.

Hahaha 🙂 I am afraid. Keep your intimidation for you.

I don’t spread FUD I just spread the truth. If I want I can also damage your reputation and I never yield to the threats. I can also speak about that on Slashdot, linuxfr.org or gpl-violations.org ^^ (I can also do intimidation ;-)) I think that peoples prefers GPL stuff like mine to proprietary stuff (even Open Source) like yours.

> My work is still open source! everyone can see the code and modify it > for their own personal use! however, if u want to distribute the > modified code, all I am asking is that u take my permission! nothing > freaking else! so stop being so dense. > -Arnie

Open Source ok, a bash script is often Open Source … But it’s not free and it’s based on free software. It’s just illegal.

It is much problems for some lines of stolen code isn’t it?

De: Kévin À: arnieboy Sujet: Re: GPL violation Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2005 22:15:47 +0100

Le lundi 05 décembre 2005 à 14:43 -0500, arnieboy a écrit :

look dude.. lets close this pointless argument. u stole my DMA code and probably much more which I dont care to check (and u only admitted it when I pointed it out).

I don’t stole anything because this code was (and is always) GPL. And it’s mentionned on my blog (the official website of easy ubuntu). This code was in Easy Ubuntu in one only beta version (and I’ve rewrited it because doesn’t work fine on my computer).

U have never acknowledged that u took code from automatix (either on the thread or ur website or anywhere else). U shamelessly made it your own work.

It’s wrote on my weblog many times (in french of course) (I’ve make some pubs for you in the french community).

I know u are little pissed because my work came after yours and became much better (that because I am superior programmer and people like my work better)

It’s your point of view not mine. All newbies prefers Easy Ubuntu because it’s easy. Your script transform Ubuntu (distro for newbies) to an expert distro. But it’s not the problem. The is: Automatix is illegal.

and its of course much popular going by the number of thread views.

You must also count post on my weblog, ubuntu-fr and framasoft.org who are all officials website of easy ubuntu 😉 Easy Ubuntu is translated in more than 10 languages so it’s more used (many spannish, russian, italian, german and french users of course). But … It’s not the problem 😛

Even if I was the only user of my code this is a GPL violation.

I know its hard for u to admit that u cant do anything better than me and now all u want to do is to call me a thief.

I nothing to do of you and I’ve wrote many softwares. I’ve nothing to proof. Computer for me it’s just a hobby 😉 I just want that you share Automatix as GPL software because it uses many GPL code.

do it if thats what u feel is right.

all the best and thanks once again for your contribution to automatix which I will never fail to acknowledge even if u go and call me a thief. -Arnie

If you download Windows on eMule or if you put GPL code in a proprietary software it’s a thief. Put your code as GPL and you become a “good programmer” (even if bash scripting it’s not really coding :P, why don’t you wrote Automatix in Python, no problem of GPL violation with Python :P)

Leave a Reply