Here the slide deck I presented during DevTalks Bucharest 2018.
It covers the main features of the API Platform framework: we will install the framework, design an API data model as a set of tiny plain old PHP classes and learn how to get:
- A fully featured dev environment with Symfony Flex and React containers, HTTP/2 and HTTPS support and a cache proxy
- Pagination, data validation, access control, relation embedding, filters and error handling
- Support for modern REST API formats: JSON-LD/Hydra, OpenAPI/Swagger, JSONAPI, HAL, JSON…
- GraphQL support
- An API responding in a just few milliseconds thanks to the builtin invalidation based cache mechanism
- A dynamically created Material Design admin interface (a la Sonata / EasyAdmin – but 100% client-side) built with React
- Client apps skeletons: React/Redux, React Native, Vue.js, Angular…
Finally, we’ll see ho to deploy the project in 1 command on Google Container Engine or any cloud with a Kubernetes.
This is an updated version of the talk I did during the SymfonyLive London 2017 conference, demonstrating the latest features of API Platform, and adapted to target a broader, non-Symfony/PHP audience.
Slides and videos of my talk during the Symfony Live Paris 2017. Rate this talk on joind.in!
Learn how to use API Platform and Symfony to create super easily rich web and mobile applications relying on React (JS) for their presentational layer.
In just a few minutes, we will create a hypermedia API thanks to API Platform, Symfony and Doctrine. We will do it step by step, and the API will be 100% functional with support for pagination, validation, filters, resources embedding. The API will be automatically documented using Swagger and Hydra and beautiful user interface for developers will be available. HTTP cache, authorization and authentication can then be added in a breath.
Then, we will introduce all new client-side tools for API Platform:
- A raw React, Redux and React Router code generator to bootstrap fully-featured Single Page Applications and native mobile apps thanks to the API documentation exposed by API Platform (client-side and server-side validation, on fields error, Twitter Bootstrap compatibility, a11y support…)
My talk at APIDays:
API Platform is new open source PHP framework dedicated to the creation of modern web APIs.
It allows to bootstrap a fully featured API (pagination, validation, filtering, sorting, automatically generated documentation, HTTP cache, OAuth and JWT auth…) in just a few minutes.
It exposes out of the box popular API formats including Swagger, JSON-LD, Hydra, HAL, JSONAPI and Schema.org.
It is extensible and can be specialized with ease. Because it is built on top of the industry-leading Symfony framework, it already counts hundreds of available extensions (bundles).
In this talk, I’ll show how to create a hypermedia API in just a few lines of codes, then take a look to the main features of the framework.
Download the PPT (“download” button) to see screencasts!
Spread the word: after months of development the first stable version of the API Platform framework has finally been released!
API Platform is a next-generation PHP web framework designed to create API-first projects easily but without compromise in the field of extensibility and flexibility:
- Use our awesome code generator to bootstrap a fully-functional data model from Schema.org vocabularies with ORM mapping and validation (you can also do it manually)
- Expose in minutes an hypermedia REST API that works out of the box by reusing entity metadata (ORM mapping, validation and serialization) ; that embraces JSON-LD, Hydra and provides a ton of features (CRUD, validation and error handling, relation embedding, filters, ordering…)
- Enjoy the beautiful automatically generated API documentation (Swagger-like)
- Add easily JSON Web Token or OAuth authentication
- Create specs and tests with a developer friendly API context system on top of Behat
- Develop your website UI, webapp, mobile app or anything else you want using your preferred client-side technologies! Tested and approved with AngularJS (integration included), Ionic, React and native mobile apps
First of all I want to thank the more than 40 developers that have contributed a thousand of commits! You’re awesome guys and nothing would have been possible without you.
To follow up with good news, API Platform got a dedicated website and an updated documentation:
Last but not least, you can also build an API in any existing Symfony 2.7 project!
The era of new generation of web applications powered by standard, semantic and auto-discoverable is just beginning.
Learn now how API Platform will help you to create such applications.
Another important news: the development of API Platform 2.0 has already begun. This new version will include even more awesome changes:
Expect a release of the 2.0 version before the end of the year!
If you want to learn more about API Platform, come to my talks:
- tomorrow in London (Symfony Live unconference): Discover API Platform
- October 29-30 in San Francisco (Symfony Live): Leveraging a cloud computing infrastructure to build high performance Symfony webapps
- December 3 in Paris (Symfony Con): Building high profile webapps with Symfony and API Platform
(more dates to come)
The API Platform is a projet brought to you by Les-Tilleuls.coop.
Voici la vidéo de la présentation que j’ai donné lors du Symfony Live 2015 à propos de API Platform, une solution pour construire des applications web modernes reposant sur une API REST hypermedia et auto-découvrable.